The role of the Council's Planning & Environment Committee in planning decisions
- The Planning Authority is Mid Sussex District Council who has the final decision on whether planning permissions are granted or refused.
- The Parish Council is a Statutory Consultee, which means that MSDC must ask for its opinion and take it into account, but not necessarily follow its recommendation. (The District Council can grant permission against the wishes of the Parish Council.)
- The Parish Council has delegated its decision-making to the Planning & Environment Committee, which is authorised to express the Council's view.
- The Committee should take account of local planning policies, as detailed in the MSDC Local Plan (2004). It can also take guidance from the Parish Council's Design Statement.
- Members of the public attending Committee meetings are given the opportunity to speak on matters on the agenda, but should follow the procedures set down in the Council's Standing Orders.
Planning application details
To check the current status and details of any planning application within the Mid Sussex Online Planning Register, click here
It is helpful if you have the planning application reference number (such as 12/01234FUL), but you can search on addresses and postcodes.
(updated 26 August 2015)